The social work profession is one of the most demanding professions. It requires great patience, dedication, and discipline. You need to be able to deal with people in difficult situations. A good understanding of human nature will make your job easier when dealing with individuals or groups of people.
It takes years before you are considered competent enough to become a social worker. There are many different types of social workers. Some specialize in helping children, some in working with the elderly, and others specialize in helping people with mental health issues.
Social workers must have excellent communication skills, be organized and thorough, and possess strong leadership qualities. They must also be able to read people very well so they can better understand their needs and feelings.
You may want to consider taking a social studies class at school if you plan on going into this field. However, it’s not necessary to take such classes. If you don’t feel like studying, then there are plenty of books out there that can teach you everything you need to know about the subject.
There are two major ways to go about becoming a social worker:
1) You could choose to attend college and get a degree in social work.
This will allow you to gain experience while gaining valuable education along the way.
2) The other way to become a social worker is to gain experience and get hired as an assistant social worker.
This may be a bit harder to accomplish, but it’s still a viable option.
I’ll leave it up to you to decide which one is best for you.
As I said before, the best way to gain knowledge of the field is by reading books. There are so many books that focus on teaching you about this profession. I’ve listed a few of them below:
1) The Social Worker’s Desk Reference – this book contains a wealth of information for social workers of all types.
It focuses mostly on how to handle different situations that may come up during your workday.
2) The Dictionary for Social Work – as the name implies, this is a dictionary full of definitions related to the field of social work.
It contains thousands of entries and can be a great asset to have around the office.
3) The Social Work Case Management Handbook – this book contains information on how to manage and organize your case load.
If you’re a social worker, then this is a must have book for you.
4) The Encyclopedia of Social Work – this book contains a wealth of information on different subjects related to social work.
No social work library would be complete without it.
5) Introduction to Social Work – this is a broad overview of the field of social work.
It can serve as a great introduction to the field whether you’re student or a seasoned veteran.
6) Clinical Social Work – this is a must have book for those who wish to specialize as clinical social workers.
It goes into detail on how to handle the various mental health issues that your clients may present with.
The above books are just a few of the hundreds of books out there that can help you become a better social worker.
Sources & references used in this article:
International social work: Professional action in an interdependent world by LM Healy, RL Thomas – 2020 – books.google.com
Social work placements: a traveller’s guide by M Doel – 2009 – books.google.com
Empowerment series: Research methods for social work by A Rubin, ER Babbie – 2016 – books.google.com
Counselling skills in social work practice by J Seden – 2005 – books.google.com
Qualitative methods in social work research by DK Padgett – 2016 – books.google.com