Best Sheet Mask – What are they?
A sheet mask is a type of facial mask which covers your whole face with a thin layer of something like water or gel. There are many types of sheet masks available in the market today, but there is one particular kind that has been gaining popularity lately: the hydrogel mask. Hydrogels are materials made from organic substances such as plant oils, proteins and other natural ingredients. They have a very strong hold over your skin, so much so that it’s difficult to remove them even with alcohol. They’re often used in products like face wash and lotions because they don’t leave behind any residue.
Hydrogels are also known as occlusive layers, since they prevent moisture from escaping through the pores of your skin. A good example would be the silicone sheeting used in most shower doors.
It prevents water from leaking out of the door when turned on.
What makes these masks popular is their ability to not only keep your skin moisturized, but also protect it against environmental aggressors such as pollution and UV rays. The main benefit of using a hydrogel mask is that they don’t feel heavy at all, making them great for those with sensitive skin.
They’re also quite affordable compared to other kinds of sheet masks (which can cost upwards of $100).
Best Sheet Masks – Skin problems they can fix
1. Moisturizes skin: If you have dry skin, you might want to consider trying out a hydrogel mask.
They’re especially beneficial for those living in colder, drier climates since they keep moisture locked into your skin. Also, if you spend most of your day outside, the sun can be very drying to your face.
Applying a hydrogel mask can certainly help prevent that.
2. Reduces wrinkles: We’ve all seen that elderly person who has a permanent frown on their face.
If you’re concerned about the fine lines and wrinkles you can see, you might want to start using a hydrogel mask every week. The reason why is because it plumps up your skin, filling in all the fine lines and making it appear much smoother and much younger looking.
3. Fades acne scars and dark spots: If you have a long history of suffering from acne, you’re probably aware that the process of getting rid of it can sometimes be strenuous for your skin.
This can result in the formation of unsightly scars and dark spots on your face, which can stay with you for a very long time. Luckily, a hydrogel mask can help fade those marks and make your skin look as if you never had acne in the first place.
4. Heals pimples: If you’re like most people and get the occasional pimple, you might want to give these masks a try.
As amazing as it may sound, hydrogel masks can actually help heal your pimples, making them smaller and less red in appearance. You’ll also notice that it hurts much less if you apply a hydrogel mask on an existing pimple rather than force yourself to pop it.
5. Lightens dark circles under your eyes: When you don’t get enough sleep, it certainly shows.
If you have problems with dark circles under your eyes, it can make you look very tired all the time. Fortunately, wearing a hydrogel mask can lighten the color of those circles by a noticeable amount.
This makes you look much healthier and more vibrant.
Benefits of Using a Hydrogel Mask
1. Moisturizes your skin: The biggest benefit is that these masks will moisturize your face better than most lotions.
By keeping your skin well hydrated on a regular basis, you’ll be able to avoid any dry patches that can form. Also, it keeps your skin from drying out in the hot sun or in the winter.
2. Makes your skin smoother: These masks plump up the skin cells, making them appear smoother and more elastic.
This is why you’ll notice a huge reduction in wrinkles when using one of these masks.
3. Can heal pimples and blackheads: If you have a pimple that you want to go away, apply a hydrogel mask on it overnight.
You’ll notice that it’s much smaller and less red the next day.
4. Diminishes dark circles under your eyes: It may not entirely get rid of dark circles, but it can certainly make them appear lighter than they usually do.
This is a great way to look a bit more lively when you’re feeling exhausted.
5. Won’t clog your pores: With some other types of masks, you run the risk of the product clogging your pores, which can cause bigger problems in the future.
With hydrogel masks on the other hand, you don’t need to worry about this because they are made with very little ingredients.
Things to Look for When Buying a Hydrogel Mask
1. Check the expiration date: Like any product that has a shelf life, hydrogel masks can expire.
It’s always a good idea to check the expiration date before buying one.
2. Pick one that suits your skin type: There are a lot of different varieties when it comes to hydrogel masks.
It’s important that you pick the one that suits your skin type, so you don’t end up making your skin condition worse. If you have sensitive skin for example, it would be best not to buy a hydrating mask; instead try one that is targeted towards oily skin.
3. Check how much it costs: While hydrogel masks are usually affordable, there is a wide range in price, so you’ll need to find one that fits your budget.
4. Check if it has a strong scent: Most hydrogel masks have a faint medical scent to them, which is perfectly normal.
If you spot one that has a very strong smell, then it might be best to find another one because most likely the ingredients are not going to be good for your skin.
5. Look for one with a lot of serum: This is important because you want to make sure you’re getting the most hydration out of your mask.
A good way to tell if a mask has a lot of serum is by the color of its packaging. If it’s very dark or translucent, it means there is a lot of serum in the package.
6. Check for discounts and specials: It’s always a good idea to wait until there is a sale on the masks you’re going to buy because most retailers offer them often.
Make sure to check online for the best discounts.
7. Avoid masks with extra features: While these might sound appealing, such as those that have exfoliating properties, it’s best to stay away from these when you’re just getting started.
This is because these masks require a longer time to show results, so you won’t really know if hydrogel masks are working for you if you mix it up.
Some Tips to Make Your Masks More Effective
While hydrogel masks are already known to be very effective, there are certain steps you can take to make them even more powerful. Here are some things you can do:
1. Make sure to keep your skin hydrated: This is very important because hydrogel masks can only do so much when it comes to hydration.
It’s recommended to drink at least eight glasses of water every day, while also applying a light moisturizer before bed.
2. Make sure your skin is clean before you apply the mask: This might seem like a given, but you’d be surprised at how many people forget to do this step.
Your skin needs to be spotless in order for the hydrogel mask to interact with your skin properly.
3. Try not to fall asleep with the mask on: This is especially true if you have sensitive skin.
There is a possibility that you might end up with red spots all over your face the next day. However, if you have thick skin and don’t mind taking the risk, then it’s fine to fall asleep with the mask on.
4. Apply a thick layer of serum before putting on the mask: This is optional, but it helps the mask adhere to your skin better and soak in the serum more easily.
5. Wait for at least ten minutes before taking off the mask: While some masks can be taken off after five minutes, there are others that need more time in order for the serum to soak in properly.
Read the instructions carefully before applying.
6. Pat in the remaining essence into your skin: You can do this by using a cotton pad or simply by using your hands.
Make sure to not rub excessively, as this will only cause friction and damage your skin. Also, make sure to not waste any of the serum.
Tips for Using Different Types of Masks
1. Hydrogel sheet masks: These are very popular because they’re convenient and affordable.
They fit any sized face and can easily be found at your local drug store. Plus, most of these are pre-soaked in liquid, so all you have to do is open up the package and put it on your face. This type works on all types of skin, but be careful when taking it off because the excess serum can drip down to your chest and cause discoloration if left on for too long.
Sources & references used in this article:
Best Organic Sheet Masks by K Noonan – thisorganicgirl.com
Face mask by RC Kirby – US Patent 5,091,996, 1992 – Google Patents
Dental mask by JA Jenkinson – US Patent 4,889,490, 1989 – Google Patents