Best Odor Eliminators for Cars:
1) Ozone – It is one of the most popular odor neutralizers among car owners.
You can use ozone gas to eliminate odors from your vehicle. However, it does not work well on all smells such as cigarette smoke or moth smell. Also, it will not do any good if there are other chemicals present in the air like exhaust fumes or gasoline vapor.
2) Carbon Monoxide – If you have symptoms of headache, dizziness, nausea or unconsciousness then you may suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is poisonous gas which causes death in case of overdose. In fact, it is responsible for over 70% of all accidental deaths in the United States. Therefore, avoid using this product when driving your car since it could cause problems with your concentration and even result in loss of control of the vehicle.
3) Gasoline – When used in large quantities, gasoline can produce toxic gases such as benzene and xylene.
These gases are known to cause cancer and other diseases. There is no safe level of exposure to these toxins so you must exercise extreme caution while using this product.
4) Diesel Fuel – Diesel fuel contains high levels of nitrogen oxides (NOx).
These gases are harmful and can lead to everything from eye irritation to respiratory problems and even cancer.
5) Ammonia – Strong smelling chemicals like ammonia may damage your eyes if they come in contact with them.
Ingesting or breathing in ammonia can be fatal. Avoid using this product if you suffer from asthma or allergies.
Best Oder Eliminators for Bathroom:
1) Ammonia – Ammonia is a colorless gas with a strong pungent odor.
It is one of the most popular odor eliminators used for cleaning. If it comes in contact with water, it produces toxic compounds which are harmful to the environment. You can use this product to remove foul smells from your bathroom.
2) Bleach – When it comes to cleaning and disinfecting, nothing can beat bleach.
It acts as a great odor neutralizer and you can use it for cleaning the floors, walls and other surfaces in the bathroom. However, you must be careful not to let it come into contact with your eyes or any part of the body since it causes irritation. In fact, dermatologists advise against using it on the skin at all.
3) Baking Soda – It is possible to get rid of bad odor by sprinkling some baking soda on the floor and letting it sit there for some time.
The porous nature of the baking soda helps it absorb foul smells.
4) Hydrogen Peroxide – You can use this chemical to get rid of bad odor in the bathroom by spraying it on the surface you want to disinfect and allowing it to remain there for some time.
5) Vinegar – It is possible to remove bad odor from your bathroom using vinegar.
You can also use it to clean the tiles in your bathroom by mixing it with water in a spray bottle and spraying the mixture on the surface you want to clean.
How to remove odor from a smelly trash can:
1) Baking Soda – One of the best odor removers is baking soda.
You can simply place some of it in your trash can and allow it to do its work. The powder will soak up foul smells from the can and will also help prevent new smells from developing.
2) Coffee Grounds – You can use coffee grounds in much the same way as you would use baking soda.
The main advantage that coffee grounds have over baking soda is that they have a lovely coffee aroma that permeates the can and acts as a pleasant reminder of the last time you made coffee.
3) Charcoal – This is an excellent odor remover that works by absorbing foul smells.
You can place some activated charcoal in your trash can to soak up the foul smells that emanate from it.
4) Lemon – You can eliminate bad smells from your trash can using lemons.
Simply cut a lemon in half and drop it in the trash can. The strong citrus odor of the lemon will permeate the entire can and neutralize all the foul smells that come from it.
5) Newspapers – You can use old newspapers to line your trash can.
The ink from the newspaper has a natural deodorizing property that helps to absorb bad smells.
6) Vanilla – You can use a small bottle of vanilla extract to eliminate bad smells from your trash can.
Simply pour some of the extract into the can and let it soak there for some time.
How to remove odor from books:
The main reason why books develop an odor is due to poor storage. Moisture easily soaks into paper and damages it. This moisture also encourages the growth of mold and bacteria which cause a foul smell.
You can prevent books from developing an odor by making sure they are not stored in a damp place.
You can get rid of a musty book smell by placing the books in a container with some activated charcoal. You can also place bowls of vinegar around the room since the smell of vinegar masks other smells quite effectively. You can also place bowls of cider vinegar around the room since the smell of that helps to eliminate smells as well.
How to remove odor from clothing:
1) Baking Soda – One of the most effective ways to eliminate odor from clothing is to soak the clothing in a solution of water and baking soda.
Allow it to soak for some time and then wash it as usual using your regular detergent. This is one of the most effective ways to remove odor from clothing.
2) Borax – You can also use borax to soak smelly clothing.
Add some borax to a container of water and soak your clothing in the solution for some time before washing it as usual.
3) Vinegar – You can remove odor from clothing using vinegar as well.
Add some vinegar to your regular wash along with the detergent and this will help get rid of bad smells. You can also use vinegar in the rinse cycle as well. This is a good way to get rid of smells that have become strong over time since the vinegar will help eliminate them from your clothing.
4) Ammonia – You can use ammonia on its own or in combination with water to remove bad smells from clothing.
Add some ammonia to a bowl of water and soak the clothing in it for some time. Rinse well before drying and washing as usual since ammonia can damage fabrics. You can also add ammonia to the wash cycle along with your detergent.
5) Kool Aid – You can use unsweetened kool aid to effectively remove odor from clothing as well.
The citric acid in the kool aid is a natural odor remover and can be used to great effect. Add some unsweetened kool aid to a container of water and soak your clothing in it for some time before washing it as usual. You can also add some kool aid directly to your wash as well.
How to remove odor from the garbage disposal:
1) Orange Peels – You can use orange peels to eliminate bad smells coming from your garbage disposal.
Simply chop up some orange peels and add them to your disposal and run it for a few seconds. This will help eliminate the bad smells from your drain. You can do this as often as you need to keep the drain free of bad smells.
2) Coffee Grounds – You can also eliminate bad smells coming from your garbage disposal using coffee grounds.
The grounds will help grind down the food in the disposal and also eliminate the foul smell. You can use as much or as little as you need to depending on how bad the smell is.
3) Baking Soda – You can also get rid of bad smells coming from your drain by using baking soda.
Simply sprinkle some baking soda down your drain followed with a bit of vinegar. The chemical reaction will get rid of the bad smells coming out of your drain and will leave your home smelling fresher.
How to prevent bad smells:
1) Be sure to wash your hands with soap and water before you go digging in any kitchen garbage disposal or in the garbage in general.
This is one of the biggest causes of foul smells in homes.
2) Always wipe things down with disinfectant before putting them into the disposal or the garbage.
This will help to prevent bacteria from growing in these places and will eliminate bad smells.
3) Be sure to grind up any large food particles before putting them into the disposal or the garbage.
This will help to prevent clogging which can lead to foul smells.
4) Be sure to run the disposal and wash dishes regularly.
If people do not run the disposal and wash the dishes on a regular basis then foul smells will start to fill the kitchen and surrounding areas.
Tips and Advice:
Don’t waste your time buying those expensive air fresheners. Why spend money on these chemical ridden sprays or candles when you can make your own all natural fresheners for next to nothing. All you need are some cheap jars or vases and you can start making your own fresheners right at home.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
1) Cuts Down on Linen Closet Smell – One of the most common smells that people complain about is that nasty smell coming from the linen closet.
To get rid of this awful smell simply add a couple of teaspoons of vanilla extract to a small jar and then add some coffee beans or cotton reels to the jar. Put the lid on nice and tight and give it a good shake. Store in a cool dry place and shake it every once in awhile to keep the fragrance dispersed.
2) Get Rid of Trash Can Odors – If you have a trash can with a bad smell all you need to do is add some coffee grounds to the bottom of it.
The grounds will absorb all the bad smells and eliminate them. You can also add some cinnamon or orange peels to get a nice fragrance as well.
3) Eliminate Sink Smells – If you have a smelly sink all you need to do is keep a bowl full of vinegar underneath it.
The vinegar will eliminate all the odors coming from the drain. It is also a good idea to have some sort of garbage disposal sticker that you can put underneath the bowl as well. This will catch any scraps that try to go down the drain and will also eliminate smaller smells than the bowl alone.
Sources & references used in this article:
Discharge planning for a patient with a new ostomy: best practice for clinicians by A Prinz, JC Colwell, HH Cross, J Mantel… – Journal of Wound …, 2015 – journals.lww.com
Effectiveness of products in eliminating cat urine odors from carpet. by BV Beaver, ML Terry, CL LaSagna – Journal of the American …, 1989 – europepmc.org
Bathroom odor eliminator by JW O’brien – US Patent 5,307,525, 1994 – Google Patents