The most popular type of sharpeners are those which have multiple functions. These include:
1) Multi-purpose Sharpening Tool (MSPT): A multi-function sharpening tool is one which has several tools with different purposes such as cutting, grinding, polishing or honing.
They may be used to sharpen metal objects such as knives, scissors blades and other types of cutlery. MSPTs are generally made from stainless steel and are available in various sizes.
2) Drill Bit Sharpener: A drill bit sharpener is a device designed to sharpen drills.
Most of them come with a variety of bits and accessories such as blades, sandpaper, abrasives, etc. They usually have two or three settings and they require special equipment like a drill press or hand held drilling apparatus.
3) Handheld Polisher: A handheld polisher is a small machine designed to polish and remove scratches from leather, suede, fur, fabric and other materials.
They are typically used on clothing and shoes. Some models can also be used on wood furniture.
4) Leather Cleaner: A leather cleaner is a device which uses chemicals to clean leather items such as bags, wallets, belts or shoes.
They are usually made from plastic and contain several compartments.
5) Foot Care Machine: foot care machines are small devices designed to remove dry and cracked skin from the feet.
They are available in two types; one works by vibrating the skin while others use steam and scrubbing to remove the dead cells.
6) Nail Drill: A nail drill is a tool used by manicurists to make tiny holes at the bottom of a fingernail or toenails.
This allows the nail polish to be distributed evenly and also makes the polish last longer.
7) Nail Files: A nail file is a small tool which is used to smoothen rough edges on fingernails.
They are made in different shapes and forms and can be plastic or metal. Some are made from emery, ceramic, diamond, crystal or stone. They come in many different colours such as pink, purple, black, red and blue.
8) Nail Grinder: A nail grinder is a small device with spinning metal tooth which are used to grind down and shape the nails.
They can be battery or electrically powered and are available in different sizes.
9) Nail Stickers: Nail stickers are used to decorate fingernails.
They are usually made from paper or plastic and often come in the form of flowers or animal designs.
10) Nail Stapler: A nail stapler is a tool used by manicurists to join the skin over a broken blood vessel. This is done by stapling the skin and then covering it with tissue or a band-aid.
11) Nail Tattoo Pen: A nail tattoo pen is a special type of pen used to create temporary tattoos on the nails. They often come in different colours and are available in many varying designs.
12) Orcutt Files: An Orcutt file is used to shape and smooth broken edges on fingernails. They are made from metal and usually have a long wooden handle for better grip. They are mostly used by manicurists and other professionals.
13) Orange Stick: An orange stick is a tool used to push back cuticles and also shape, thin and support the nails. They are made from solid wood and come in varying sizes.
14) Pumice Stone: A pumice stone is a device used to file down dead skin cells on the feet. They can be made from natural or man-made materials such as aluminum oxide. They come in different sizes and colours depending on their usage.
15) Q-Tips: Q-tips are cotton buds which are used to clean or glue small objects. They are available in a variety of colours and sizes and are mostly used by artists and make-up artists.
16) Scissors: Scissors are used to cut various materials such as paper, cloth and hair. They come in different sizes and designs for both home and professional use.
17) Shaving Razor: A shaving razor is a tool used to remove hair from the face and legs. They can be either disposable or fixed and are usually made from metal or plastic.
18) Shoehorns: A shoehorn is a device used to put on your shoes easily without rubbing against the skin. They are made from plastic, wood or metal and come in different sizes and colours.
19) Snips: Snips are a type of scissors with very small blades which are used for cutting small objects. They are mostly available in stainless steel or aluminium and are very sharp.
20) Tweezers: A tweezer is a tool used for picking up small objects. They can be made from different materials and come in varying sizes. They are mostly used by manicurists, doctors and other professionals.
21) Wooden Emery Boards: An emery board is a small tool used to file or polish the nails. They are mostly made from wood and come in different colours and designs.
22) Wooden Pencils: A wooden pencil is a writing tool made from solid wood. They can be sharpened like normal pencils and are available in different shapes and sizes.
Sources & references used in this article:
Medical scissor sharpener by RB Pugliesi, S Cucinella – US Patent 6,149,662, 2000 – Google Patents
Abrasive sharpener by RS Smith – US Patent 8,221,199, 2012 – Google Patents
Knife sharpener by WW Collins – US Patent 4,558,540, 1985 – Google Patents
Sharpener for a spreading tool by JD Milum – US Patent 4,498,360, 1985 – Google Patents
Abrasive sharpener by RS Smith – US Patent 8,512,105, 2013 – Google Patents
Manually operated sharpener by TM Huber, DD Friel Jr, S Weiner, CW Gluyas… – US Patent …, 2014 – Google Patents
Combination sharpener assembly by TM Huber, DD Friel Jr, S Weiner, CW Gluyas… – US Patent …, 2014 – Google Patents
Dart sharpener by KA Martin – US Patent 5,951,386, 1999 – Google Patents