Best Fiskars Reel Mowers are known for their high quality products. They have been producing reels since 1891. Their reputation is built upon their superior quality and reliability. These reel mowers come with a lifetime warranty, which means if they break within the first year, they will repair or replace them free of charge! Best Fiskars Reel Mowers offer many features that make them popular among home owners and professionals alike. They feature a large capacity, which allows them to cut through thick branches with ease. Other features include automatic blade change, multiple speed settings, and a convenient handle. Another benefit of these machines is their ability to operate on either 12 volts or 24 volt power systems.
The Best Fiskars Reel Mowers are manufactured from durable materials such as aluminum alloy and steel. Some models even incorporate carbon fiber into the design. All of these features ensure that these machines last longer than others. These machines are equipped with a safety feature called the “safety switch.” When turned on, it shuts off all the motors in case of an overload condition.
If this happens, then the machine automatically stops cutting and will not start up again until it receives proper maintenance.
Best Fiskars Reel Mowers are available in many sizes, which makes them perfect for any job. The smallest model is the 28″ reel mower, which is designed for small residential yards. This model is best for cutting high grass and weeds. The next size up is the 40″ reel mower. This model can cut through thick patches of grass and weeds with ease.
The 50″ reel mower is the best option for most residential yards. This larger model is perfect for lawns that are a quarter acre or larger. The 60″ reel mower is an excellent choice for commercial applications. This machine can handle the heaviest of workloads and requires minimal maintenance.
The Fiskars StaySharp Max Reel Mower is a great option for anyone with a medium to large residential yard and needs a durable machine that can last for years. This model is equipped with a convenient grass catcher and features sharpSuperior Cutting Performance cutting blade technology. It can be used on all types of grass and weeds and will not wear out the engine. It has the ability to operate with either a 12 or 24-volt power system and comes with a convenient battery charger.
Another wonderful feature of the Fiskars StaySharp Max Reel Mower is the spring assisted handle, which allows for precise maneuvering. The cutting height can be easily adjusted without any additional tools and the mower is equipped with built-in wheels for easy transport. This mower also starts at the push of a button, which prevents wear and tear on the start cord. The Fiskars StaySharp Max Reel Mower is available in 60″ and 48″ sizes.
The Great States 415-16 reel mower is an excellent option for those with a yard that is up to ½ acre. This sturdy machine has 7-inch tall blades and can cut up to 2 acres per hour. The Great States 415-16 comes equipped with an easy to start Briggs and Stratton engine and has a durable belt system. It can cut in both directions for more even trimming and is easy to maneuver around trees and landscaping. This machine also features an adjustable cutting height from 1″ to 2 3/8″.
The Fiskars Cutting System is integrated into the Great State 415-16 reel mower. This provides a clean, precise cut that will not fray or leave grass clippings on the lawn. This mower is easy to start, requires no maintenance and is backed by a 3-year warranty. It has a classic design and has the ability to cut in both directions.
The GreenWorks 25022 G-Max is an excellent option for homeowners with small yards. This machine can cut up to 1/3 of an acre on one charge and takes 8 hours to fully charge. It can also be plugged in for direct charging. The battery charges completely in 2 to 3 hours. This mower features a 13-inch steel blade and has 7 different cutting positions to choose from.
It is easy to maneuver and can be used on all types of grass.
The GreenWorks G-MAX is an innovative, lightweight reel mower that is simple to start and easy to maneuver. The cutting height is set at the factory and maintained by a simple filing system. The G-Max can be used for trimming around trees, bushes and other landscaping features. This machine also comes with a bumper that prevents grass clipping from flying everywhere. The GreenWorks 25022 G-Max is a great option for anyone who has a small yard and wants a simple way to cut it.
The Earthwise CM2035 is a lightweight reel mower designed for small yards. This machine can cut up to 5,000 square feet of grass on one charge and doesn’t require any gas or oil. It is completely environmentally friendly and is quiet to operate. The Earthwise CM2035 features a 13-inch high-strength steel blade and is durable enough to last for years. The cutting height is easy to adjust with an 11-position wheel and can cut in both directions.
The Earthwise CM2035 is a great reel mower for anyone who wants to save money and the environment. It doesn’t create any pollution, it saves you money on fuel and it is easy to maintain. The Earthwise is available in 46″, 50″ and60″.
The GreenWorks Pro is an excellent reel mower for those with a medium to large yard. It can cut up to 5 acres on one charge and has a high strength, heat treated steel blade with 7 positions. The cutting height is easy to adjust with a single lever and can be used in both directions.
The GreenWorks 25052 G-Max is an excellent reel mower for those with a medium sized yard. The G-Max can cut up to 1/4 acre on one charge and has a 13-inch steel blade with 7 positions. It also has adjustable height from 1″ – 2 3/8″ and a rear bagging system for collecting clippings. The G-Max is a great choice for anyone who wants a hassle free way to mow their lawn.
The GreenWorks 25012 G-Max is an excellent choice for anyone with a large yard. It can cut up to 5 acres on one charge and has a 13-inch steel blade with 7 positions. The cutting height is easy to adjust with a single lever and the G-Max comes equipped with a rear bagging system to collect clippings. The 25012 G-Max is a great reel mower for anyone who wants to save money and the environment.
What are the Benefits of Using a Reel Mower?
There are many benefits to using a reel mower instead of a traditional, gas powered one. The first, and probably most important benefit is the environmental aspect. Reel mowers do not use any fossil fuels or emit any pollution into the air. They are also great for the consumer wallet as they require no maintenance or oil changes.
Reel Mowers are also great for the active gardener as they provide a good workout whether used by children or adults. This type of mower is easy to push and turn and helps keep the user in shape.
Another benefit is that you never run out of power halfway through mowing the lawn. And finally, they are very easy to maintain and repair if necessary.
Can You Mow Any Type of Grass with a Reel Mower?
Most types of grass can be cut with a reel mower, however, some are harder to cut than others. One of the major cons of using a reel mower is that it does not do well on wet grass. The grass clippings need to be dry in order for the mower to work properly. Wet grass will ball up around the blade and either cause the mower to not work properly or the mower will get stuck halfway through the lawn.
If you are planning on using a reel mower make sure to cut the grass when it is dry. This could mean waiting a day or two until the grass is dry enough to mow or it could mean having to water the lawn a little before mowing if it is a particularly hot, dry summer.
Another type of grass that can cause issues is tall grass. If you have any areas in your lawn that have long or unmowed grass this could get tangled in the reel of the mower and break it. Any other type of grass should not be an issue, however, some types such as centipede and moss seem to grow much better because they are not reliant on frequent mowing for nutrients and are therefore much easier to maintain.
Tips For Using a Reel Mower
One of the most important things to remember when using a reel mower is to go slowly. Unlike gas powered lawnmowers that can be sped up on uneven terrain, reel mowers must always be pushed at the same speed. Pushing the mower too quickly can cause you to lose your footing so always stay at a safe speed.
Also make sure to sharpen the blade before each use. This will ensure that it cuts the grass cleanly and does not get stuck. Always keep the blade parallel to the ground for best results and never try to cut wet grass with a reel mower, even if you are in a hurry.
While reel mowers can be great for small lawns they just don’t have the power to handle large yards. Even with proper care and maintenance they will not work as efficiently on a large yard. A lot of people get around this problem by either using a reel mower to cut around the edge of the lawn or by getting a riding mower or gas push mower for the larger area in the center.
Another common issue is keeping the wheels on the ground. If you find that your reel mower is often riding up on the grass then place small pieces of wood under the front wheels to keep it in contact with the ground.
Finally, always wear safety gear when operating a reel mower. Even though they are much safer than gas mowers they can still cause injury if safety precautions aren’t taken.
How to Mow a Lawn With a Reel Mower
1. Before you begin cutting the grass, check to see if it is ready by pulling up on a few of the blades.
If they are easily yanked out then it is time to mow.
2. Start at the edge of the lawn and begin pushing the mower in long even strokes.
You will need to use some force to push the mower but do not break into a run. Short quick strokes will not cut the grass evenly and will also make you tired more quickly.
3. Inevitably you will get to a spot where the grass is either too high or there is a rock or other object in the lawn.
When this happens you can try to lift the mower and walk it around the obstruction, however, this is not always practical. If you do choose to lift the mower, first make sure the blades are not turning and then using both hands, pick it up and quickly move it to a clear area.
4. If you cannot lift the mower, which will be the case if there is an object directly in the way then you will need to use the side scraper bar.
This is a wide bar that extends from the main frame on one side and has a serrated edge on the opposite end. Push this up under the object so that the edge bites into it and then using both hands lift the object up, off of the bar.
5. Once you have cleared the object you can resume mowing.
6. After you have finished cutting the entire lawn, inspect the cut grass and remove any stray blades that are sticking up.
How to Maintain a Reel Mower
1. After you have mowed the lawn, it is time to store your reel mower until the next use.
First, wipe away any excess grass that may be stuck in the blades with a dry cloth or other suitable cleaning implement. Next, coat the blade with a film of oil to prevent rust and then place the metal frame in a safe place.
2. Sharpening the blades is also an important part of reel mower maintenance.
The key to sharpening any bladed tool is to first grind off any nicks or dents in the blade edges and then use a series of increasingly finer grit whetstones to sharpen each bevel.
3. Before storing the reel mower for the winter, coat the blades with a light film of motor oil to prevent rust.
How to Sharpen a Reel Lawn Mower Blade
1. Lay the reel mower on its side.
2. Unscrew the center nut that holds the blade in place.
3. Using a crescent wrench or pliers, loosen but do not remove the metal retaining ring at the base of the blade.
4. Using a screwdriver, hammer or some other suitable tool, tap the blade to break it.
Tap lightly at first until you see visible dents begin to appear in the edge of the blade.
5. Using a screwdriver or similar tool, pry up on the dented edge while pulling up on the blade with your other hand.
It should come out of the spindle fairly easily after the first dent.
6. With the retaining ring still in place, continue to tap on the dent edges of the blade until it pops out of the spindle.
Be sure to wear safety goggles when doing this to prevent any metal shavings from damaging your eyes.
7. Carefully remove the retaining ring and any small pieces of metal that are stuck in the spindle.
8. Place the blade on a flat, hard surface, such as the back of a car door.
Using a combination of a metal hammer and a screwdriver or similar tool, begin to lightly tap the blade on either side of the remaining dents to try to pop them out. Be sure to wear safety goggles during this process to prevent any metal shards from damaging your eyes.
9. Using a fine to medium grit whetstone, slowly begin sharpening the edge of the blade where it is still intact.
Start with a coarse grit to knock off any major nicks or dents in the edge and then begin working your way down through finer grits until you reach the desired sharpness.
10. Once you have achieved the proper sharpness, begin the process again on the opposite side of the blade that is missing its cutting edge.
11. Re-coat the blade with a light layer of oil to prevent rust and place it back in the mower.
How to Store a Reel Lawn Mower for the Winter
1. After you have finished using your reel lawn mower, be sure to wipe down the cutting edges and the handles of the blades to remove any excess moisture that may have built up during use.
2. Coat the top surface of each blade as well as the cutting edges with a light layer of motor oil to prevent rust.
3. Place the reel lawn mower in a shed or garage and leave it there until you are ready to use it again the following spring.
How to Maintain a Push Reel Lawn Mower
1. Always allow the grass clippings to fall onto the lawn as they provide natural nutrients for the grass.
Do not bag or remove them as this cuts down on the natural growth cycle of the grass.
2. Remove any build up of leaves, sticks or other debris from the blades with a stick or other long, narrow object.
3. Check the wheels to make sure they are firmly secured in place.
4. Check the handle for cracks or any other signs of damage and replace if necessary.
5. Check the grips or handles and replace them if necessary.
6. Check the metal joints to make sure they are still tight and secure.
7. Wipe down the exterior with a cloth to remove any dust, dirt or other debris that may have accumulated during use.
8. Test the sharpness of the blades by running your thumb lightly over the edge.
If you feel any jagged edges, use a whetstone to slowly begin grinding them down until they are no longer a problem. Do not over sharpen as this can cause the metal to become too weak and be prone to breaking.
Use a whetstone to sharpen the blades.
Sources & references used in this article:
Height of cot adjustment mechanism for reel mowers by RL Reichen – US Patent 5,241,810, 1993 – Google Patents
Adjustable reel mower by RW Speiser – US Patent 3,576,097, 1971 – Google Patents
Rotary reel with concave cutting blades by RD Clemson – US Patent 2,827,752, 1958 – Google Patents
Mulching device for reel-type lawn mowers by JR Smith – US Patent 5,400,576, 1995 – Google Patents