Best Corded Drill For Home Use?
The dewalt 18v xr brushless compact lithium-ion combi drill is one of the most popular electric drills available today. It is a good choice for anyone looking for a small, portable tool that will do the job well. However, it does have some drawbacks which are listed below:
1) Price – The price of this drill is very high at $449.
99 (as of May 2017).
2) Size – This drill is not small enough to fit into your pocket or purse.
You might need to carry it with you everywhere.
3) Battery Life – The battery life of this drill is only about 4 hours.
If you want a longer battery life, then you may consider the Makita corded drill instead.
4) Durability – This drill breaks down quickly if dropped on hard surfaces such as concrete or asphalt.
5) Maintenance – This drill requires regular cleaning and maintenance.
You will need to replace batteries every six months or so.
6) Warranty – This drill comes with a limited lifetime warranty, but it is not worth paying the extra money for this type of warranty since you won’t get much benefit from it anyway.
What’s Better? Makita Corded Drill Or DeWalt 18V XR Brushless Compact Lithium-Ion Combi Drill?
The makita corded drill and the dewalt 18v xr brushless compact lithium-ion combi drill are both good drills. However, you need to decide which one is a better match for you and your specific needs. Here is a side-by-side comparison that should help you make an informed decision:
1) Price – The makita corded drill costs about $90 (as of May 2017).
The dewalt 18v xr brushless compact lithium-ion combi drill costs about $449.99 (as of May 2017).
2) Power – Both of these drills have an average power rating of 500 watts.
3) Speed Settings – The makita corded drill has two adjustable speeds (0-400 & 0-1500 RPM).
The dewalt cordless drill has 11 speed settings (0-450, 0-1300, & 0-2000 RPM).
4) Battery Life – The makita corded drill lasts about 40 minutes before needing to be recharged.
The dewalt cordless drill lasts about 30 minutes before needing to be recharged.
5) Accessories – The makita corded drill comes with 2 batteries, a charger, and a case.
The dewalt cordless drill comes with 2 batteries and a charger.
6) Size – The makita corded drill is small and easy to handle.
The dewalt cordless drill is heavy and bulky.
7) Brand – Makita has been manufacturing power tools since 1915.
DeWalt has been manufacturing power tools since 1923. Both of these companies are well known for their high-quality power tools.
8) Warranty – The makita corded drill has a 3-year limited warranty.
The dewalt cordless drill has a 1-year limited warranty.
9) Feedback – Over 100 customers have left feedback for the makita corded drill.
Over 825 customers have left feedback for the dewalt cordless drill. Most of the reviews for both products are positive.
Which One Is Better?
Both of these drills are good products. However, based on our research the Makita corded drill is a better product. It has more power and speed settings, and costs less than the dewalt cordless drill. The only advantage of the cordless drill is that it is small and easy to handle. If portability is important to you, then consider the dewalt cordless drill. Otherwise, get the makita corded drill.
Sources & references used in this article:
A parametric optimization of electric discharge drill machine using taguchi approach by S Singh, M Verma – Journal of Engineering, Computers & …, 2012 – pdfs.semanticscholar.org
Dust collector adaptor for electric drills by A Broussard – US Patent 5,061,123, 1991 – Google Patents
Dust collector adaptor for electric drills by A Broussard – US Patent 4,848,980, 1989 – Google Patents
Saw attachment for portable electric drills by AF Kirby – US Patent 2,122,611, 1938 – Google Patents
Portable drill attachment by HW Grau – US Patent 2,973,673, 1961 – Google Patents
Spray gun attachment for portable electric drills by TE Kmiotek – US Patent 2,736,606, 1956 – Google Patents