The following are some of the most popular and well-known casserole dishes:
1. Chicken Pot Pie Casserole – This is one of the most famous casserole dishes which originated from England.
It consists of chicken pot pie cooked in a crust made out of flour, butter, eggs and milk. The filling consists of mashed potatoes, carrots, onions and gravy.
2. Beef Stew Casserole – This is another famous British dish which consists of stewed meat or mutton, vegetables and herbs such as celery, parsnips and carrots.
3. Pork Loin Casserole – This is a classic American dish consisting of pork loin, potatoes, peas and gravy.
4. French Onion Soup Casserole – This is a traditional Italian recipe which consists of sautéed onions in cream sauce with mushrooms and tomatoes.
5. Cornish Pasty Casserole – This is a Scottish dish which consists of boiled and baked pears.
6. Stuffed Shellfish Casserole – This is a Japanese dish which consists of stuffed shellfish such as shrimp, crab, lobster and scallops.
7. Turkey Meatball Casserole – This is a Turkish dish which consists of turkey meatball in tomato sauce with lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber salad.
8. Roast Chicken Casserole – This is a British dish which consists of slices of roast chicken with peas, carrots and potatoes in gravy.
9. Asparagus Casserole – This is an American dish which consists of asparagus with tomatoes on a bed of rice.
10. Slow Cooker Beef Stew Casserole – This is a Dutch dish which consists of slow cooked beef stew with peas, carrots and mashed potatoes.
Cooking is an art which involves creativity and skill. In cooking, the possibilities are endless. Just about any kind of food can be cooked in a casserole dish. It is really fun to experiment with different kinds of food mixed in one casserole to create something delicious and nutritious at the same time. The above list just gives you an idea of some of the more popular casseroles, there are hundreds of other recipes out there.
You can find many casseroles that are a lot better than the ones you get in a restaurant or diner. Who knows, you might just become the chef of a five star restaurant. All it takes is a little research and practice.
You can eat your favorite foods and still lose weight! These days it is very hard to shed off those extra pounds, especially when life seems to be so busy. But dieting doesn’t have to be a hassle. One of the best ways to keep fit and healthy is by eating casserole dishes. These dishes are a lot easier to prepare, especially when compared to traditional meals.
Casseroles are basically combinations of meat, seafood, vegetables and starches all baked together. They are very easy to make and can be stored in the fridge for later consumption.
You can make casseroles with any ingredients you like and they can be a great way of using up leftovers. Since they are baked, they also require a lot less oil or even none at all, making them healthier than most dishes. So check out the recipes below and enjoy!
1. Italian Sausage Casserole
Ingredients: – 12 oz package fully cooked italian pork sausage (casings removed) – 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced – 1 medium onion, chopped – 2 cloves garlic, minced – 2 cups chicken stock – 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained – 1 6 oz can tomato paste – 3 tbsp dried italian seasoning – 2 cups uncooked spiral pasta
2. Lamb Casserole
Ingredients: – 1 1/2 lb lamb shoulder chops – 2 tbsp all-purpose flour – 2 tbsp vegetable oil – 1 cup green bell pepper strips – 1 cup sliced celery – 1/2 cup chopped onion – 2 cloves garlic, minced
3. Lamb Casserole
Ingredients: – 1 1/2 pound lamb shoulder chops – 2 tbsp all-purpose flour – 2 tbsp vegetable oil – 1 cup green bell pepper strips – 1 cup sliced celery – 1/2 cup chopped onion – 2 cloves garlic, minced
4. Sweet and Sour Meat Casserole
Ingredients: – 1 lb ground beef – 1 medium onion, chopped – 2 cloves garlic, minced – 1 tbsp vegetable oil – 28 oz can tomato puree – 15 oz can diced tomatoes – 15 oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained – 1/2 cup water
Sources & references used in this article:
Paula deen celebrates!: Best dishes and best wishes for the best times of your life by P Deen – 2007 – books.google.com
Casserole container by KW Renfroe – US Patent 5,842,596, 1998 – Google Patents
Bacterial quality of three casserole dishes served in a university food service by MH Neil – 1912 – D. McKay